Finding the best shampoo for a dry scalp may seem overwhelming once you get to the shampoo section. With so many shampoos available that claim to be moisturizing, it’s hard to know which products will actually help your dehydrated and flaky scalp. Well don’t worry, we have done the research for you. We have found the best shampoos for dry scalp.
But in order to properly treat your dry scalp, you have to understand why your scalp is dehydrated to begin with.
What Causes a Dry Scalp?
A dry scalp can be caused by many different variables.
But one of the most common causes of a dry scalp is dandruff.
By one theory, dandruff occurs when the scalp overreacts to pityrosporum ovale (now known as Malassezia), a naturally occurring fungus found on the skin. This reaction causes your scalp to become dry, causing dead skin cells to flake away. This results in the white flakes found on the scalp and throughout the head that is associated with dandruff.
More recent research has it that seborrheic dermatitis and dandruff are part of the same continuum. Seborrheic dermatitis (SD) can affect different parts of the body, but dandruff is the form found only on the scalp. Again, a reaction to Malassezia might be the culprit, but no-one is certain of the exact cause of SD yet.
Skin diseases, such as psoriasis and eczema, can also cause your scalp to become dry and flaky. These conditions may need to be treated by a medicated shampoo from a dermatologist.
Your scalp may become drier during the change in season as well. When the temperature drops and the water level in the air decreases, your skin becomes dehydrated. This does not just apply to the skin on your arms, legs, and face, but also your scalp.
Sometimes, the ingredients in the products that your use in your hair can dry out your scalp. Examples include silicone and resins. Silicone is often found in products that are meant to tame frizz and straighten hair, while resins are found in hairsprays. These ingredients can build up on the scalp and block the hair follicles from releasing natural oils. The best shampoos for dry scalps will not have drying ingredients such as sulfates, which will strip away oils from your hair and scalp.
When your scalp is dehydrated and dry it can cause discomfort, itchiness, and flaking. This is not only uncomfortable but can sometimes lead to embarrassing white flakes on hair and clothing.
Here are the best shampoos for dry scalps to leave your head feeling hydrated and moisturized.
Best Shampoos for Dry Scalp
Burdock & Neem Healthy Scalp Shampoo
The health drink for your scalp! A wonderful shampoo that eliminates dryness, itching and flaking of your scalp and as we were just saying a healthy scalp means you’ll have healthier hair. 100% Pure Burdock & Neem Healthy Scalp Shampoo stimulates circulation and its hydrating formula makes hair healthy, nourished and vibrant. It’s even gentle enough for color treated hair. We can’t speak highly enough about this wonderful health food for your hair and scalp! 100% Pure products are you guessed it, 100% Pure! That means all natural ingredients,100% cruelty-free,100% free of artificial colors, artificial fragrances, synthetic chemical preservatives and all other toxins. What’s not to love?
Nioxin Scalp Relief System Kit
Discover the Nioxin Scalp Relief System Kit, a complete scalp and hair care routine with a clean label fragrance that includes a gentle cleanser, nourishing conditioner, and a soothing serum. Use all three of our Scalp Relief System Kit products to soothe the scalp and help thicken the hair instantly. Clinically proven to strengthen the natural scalp barrier*. Clinically & dermatogically tested.
* when used regularly at least 4 times a week.
Plant Based Tea Tree Shampoo
- Tried And True Formula, Try It Now: Awarded the “Family Tested Family Approved” seal of approval by an independent organization that sends products to parents and families across North America to determine which products they love and use in their own homes. Try it now.
- Clarify Your Dry Scalp: The best proprietary herbal blend of Tea Tree Oil, Arnica, Sage and Rosemary effectively helps to hydrate your dry scalp. An improvement is noticeable after only a few applications. You may finally wear dark clothes again.
- Deeply Hydrates Scalp And Hair: This shampoo hydrates even the driest scalp and most brittle, damaged hair. Hydrate your hair and lock in moisture while rejuvenating your scalp. Continued use will help return your scalp to its healthy best.
Avalon Organics Scalp Treatment Tea Tree Shampoo
Avalon created this scalp normalizing shampoo to help reduce the discomfort felt when suffering from a dry scalp. While helping your head feel more moisturized, this shampoo still keeps your scalp and hair clean and healthy. The tea tree, mint, and eucalyptus are great for stimulating circulation to your hair follicles that helps trigger natural oil production.
Hair is left smooth, soft, and shiny while your scalps moisture level is increased and balanced. With no harsh ingredients, fragrances, or colors, you can feel confident that your hair and scalp are healthy and hydrated without any damaging additives.
Tree To Tub Lavender Dry Hair Shampoo
- CARE FOR A SENSITIVE SCALP: Our moisturizing shampoo for dry hair delivers gentle yet effective care for a troubled scalp. Wash away the discomfort of severe dryness & enjoy a calm & balanced scalp.
- 🌱SUDS UP & BALANCE OUT: Soapberry shampoo sulfate free is rich in nature's saponins. This argan oil shampoo moisturizes damaged hair with a creamy lather and helps right your scalp's pH too!
- 🌱SOFTEN & UNWIND: Give dry, split hair soothing treatment with a vegan hydrating shampoo for color treated hair & soft, smooth locks. Scented with wild & relaxing lavender from pure essential oil.
- 🌱PURE & FREE OF SULFATES: We left out the nasties in our gentle shampoo for dry scalp with safe ingredients from nature, like argan oil, olive leaf, aloe & chamomile, for shiny, weightless hair.
Rahua Founder’s Blend Scalp & Hair Treatment
Looking for an intense treatment? This scalp and hair treatment is not intended for daily use but weekly use. It is quite pricey but we really love it! This treatment is applied to the scalp and even the lengths and left on for at least 15 minutes although it is recommended to leave it overnight before rinsing. The results, a wonderful cooling effect on the scalp and a glossy, bouncy mane afterwards. Did we mention that it smells incredible! Oh and its all natural, organic, gluten free, vegan, cruelty free and pure plant derived so you can feel good for the environment too.
Those are six of the best shampoos for dry scalp that are available. They are all filled with nourishing ingredients to keep your scalp hydrated and balanced. These shampoos are not filled with harsh ingredients that will strip your hair of its natural oils. They also won’t clog your hair follicles to trick you into thinking your scalp is becoming more moisturized, when instead they will probably leave your scalp more irritated.
The one thing to remember when using new haircare products is that it takes time to see results.
This is because your dry scalp did not appear in one day, so it may take a few times to really notice a difference in your scalp.
To speed results you can use conditioners, oils, hair masks, and other products that will help keep your scalp moisturized.
4 thoughts on “Best Shampoos For Dry Scalp – Here Are The Top 6”
Pingback: What's the Best Shampoo For My Hair Type? (2018) | Hair Care Tips
Pingback: How Acne Blue Light Therapy Works | SkinDeepr
Pingback: Best Natural Hair Growth Products (2018) | Reviews & Expert Guide
Pingback: What Shampoo Is Best For My Hair Type? (2021) | Expert Hair Care Tips