Hello beautiful! Do you have fine hair?
Washing fine hair is difficult as it presents problems that normal hair does not. While it is no fun having hair that is so thick it resembles straw in a barn, you need to wash fine hair in a certain way to keep volume and stop it from becoming too greasy or dry. We’ll start with some tips and tricks in washing fine hair and then look to what we think are the best shampoos for fine hair in 2021.
Techniques for Washing Fine Hair
People with fine hair often face the double problem of it lacking volume and being greasy. Near every hair follicle in the skin, there’s a sebaceous gland that produces oil to protect the individual hair. This means for people with fine hair, it is often quite greasy. Let’s look at six tips on how best to deal with these problems.
- When possible use a clear shampoo marked for daily use. These shampoos don’t leave much in the way of residues that will weigh your hair down and make it look as fine as it actually is. Do look for a product that says it improves volume as it will give added body to your hair too.
- Contrary to what some people suggest online, it is OK to wash your hair daily if you have fine hair. If you do wash your hair every day, then try to wash it once a week with a ‘clarifying shampoo’ that is designed remove the products left behind by other shampoos.
- Sulfates in most shampoos are there to make it lather. You don’t always need lather to help wash your hair, even though it ‘feels right’. Sulfates stay behind on the hair and can weigh it down, reducing the volume of your hair, so the answer may well be just to do without them! There are one or two sulfate free shampoos on the market that wash your hair just as well without the lather.
- There are ingredients in shampoos that help thicken the hair at the root. The most popular ingredients for this are something called ‘panthenols’ that help thicken your hair over several applications. This will help you tackle the problem… at root!
- Consider using a dry shampoo from time to time. This can work on the scalp to actively reduce the grease but can really add body and volume!
- A final note is conditioning. While you may want to add conditioner to your hair as everyone else does, if you have fine hair experts only recommend that you should only condition the last few inches of your hair and not from root to tip. When you apply the conditioner, leave it on for around five minutes and then wash it off in the normal way.
If the problem isn’t just fine hair but thinning hair too, you might want to check out our article on natural hair growth products.
Best shampoo for fine hair in 2021
We did the hard work so you don’t have to! Let’s take a look at our tried and tested top shampoos for fine hair available right now.
Volumizing Shampoos - for Daily Use
Rahua Voluminous Shampoo
This shampoo delivers noticeable volume and body from the first wash! It also strengthens, clarifies, and nourishes hair making it the perfect choice for fine hair. Rahua Voluminous Shampoo clarifies without drying the individual strands to achieve lots of volume, body and bounce! It even works well on oily and colored hair. We particularly love this shampoo for very fine colored hair. As an added bonus it is also a Vegan and an Organic product.
FEKKAI Full Blown Volume Shampoo
This wonderful shampoo gives flat, fine hair a major boost. With just one wash you will notice a major difference in your hair and it’s safe for color and keratin treated hair.
So if you find you have to do keratin treatments to the your mane and then find your hair too flat and limp afterwards.
Yes I'm talking to you! This is the product for you!
Daily use Clarifying Shampoos
Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo
We found this relatively cheap clarifying shampoo is one of the best shampoos for daily use on fine hair. Although we do recommend using a stronger clarifying shampoo at least once a week to get rid of any product build-up.
BIOLAGE Normalizing Clean Reset Shampoo
Mmmmmm Lemongrass! This shampoo not only smells so fresh and clean but it also really gets the job done! Unlike most shampoos on this list this one contains a very mild sulphate. Now while we don’t normally recommend shampoos with sulphates some people, mainly those that use lots of styling products require their shampoo to sud and have had little success with sulphate-free shampoos. If this sounds like you, give this high quality salon product a go. Available at a very good price here.
Medicated Clarifying Shampoo for Damaged Scalps
Puriya Scalp Therapy Clarifying Shampoo
If you not have fine hair but also suffer from a dry, itchy scalp this is the cure for you! This product is even super effective for those that suffer from Seborrheic dermatitis, psoriasis and eczema. This product cures it all in a few washes. It is also great for soothing itchy skin. The blend of Arnica, Sage, Rosemary, Aloe, Tea Tree Oil and Vitamin B complex fortify and clarify hair leaving it fresh with plenty of body.
And you get the Breath Easy Balm as a bonus with this set
Clarifying Shampoos - For once or twice weekly use
Phillip Adam Apple Cider Vinegar Shampoo
Phillip Adam uses the natural cleansing and clarifying power of apple cider vinegar in this shampoo to keep your hair from becoming too oily. Don’t worry it doesn’t smell like apple cider vinegar. This shampoo get its yummy green apples and orange vanilla scent from pure essential oils. It also contains wheat and oat proteins to moisturize and soften your hair. Although it can give you a deep clean, it is a gentle formula that can even be used on those with color treated hair. This is a great option for those looking for deep clean that is not too harsh. We love that it provides excellent foam and removes product build-up in one wash.
Neutrogena Anti-Residue Shampoo
This anti-residue shampoo is not meant for everyday use but is actually a once a week deep cleansing treatment.
It removes product build up and oil to keep your hair and scalp clean and healthy. This will also help to add some volume to your hair, perfect if you find that your hair is looking a little flat.
It is a clear shampoo with a fresh scent and is meant for all hair types. If you are looking for a once a week treatment to really deep clean your hair and scalp, this shampoo is for you.
Kaia Naturals Overnight Dry Shampoo
Sometimes the best way to deal with oily hair is to use a really good dry shampoo at night to absorb excess oils. Kaia Naturals Overnight Dry Shampoo effectively absorbs oil, odor and sweat for long-lasting results while you sleep. Refreshes all hair types, enhancing the volume and texture even for very fine and limp hair. Kaia Naturals Overnight Dry Shampoo prevents damage from over washing and prolongs colored-treated hair. This dry shampoo comes in 2 colors, blonde and brunette.
Beauty By Earth Dry Shampoo
This dry shampoo is specially formulated for dark hair. It is a powdered spray perfect for brown and black hair, and plays well with all hair types.
The delicious blend of essential oils is enticing enough that both guys and gals can use it with a smile.
It is also wonderful for adding extra volume to revive tired, limp looking hair.
4 thoughts on “Discover the Best Shampoo for Fine Hair 2021”
Pingback: Best Natural Hair Growth Products (2018) | Reviews & Expert Guide
Pingback: What's the Best Shampoo For My Hair Type? (2018) | Hair Care Tips
Pingback: Best leave in Conditioner for Black Hair Review 2017 - Skin Deepr
Pingback: Is "The Sleep Styler" Your New Hairstyling Miracle? | SkinDeepr