Hello Beautiful! One of the most essential, but dreaded, chores of a makeup lover is to clean their makeup brushes. Although nothing feels as good as applying your makeup with a fresh and clean makeup brush, getting your brushes to that squeaky-clean state is not the most fun task. It is important to clean your brushes to avoid breakouts and stop bacteria, debris, and other nasty stuff from transferring to your face. In this article, we will talk about how to give your brushes a quick clean daily and how to easily give your tools the deep cleaning that they need every week. We have a list of all the products you need to get your brushes as clean as possible. We even found some products to help make this dreaded chore easier. Did you know there are machines that clean your brushes now? Keep reading to learn more.
Daily cleaning of your brushes will help get rid of some of the makeup, bacteria, and other debris that is building up on your brushes. This is also great if you use brushes for multiple tasks or like to play around with various colors. For daily cleaning, we recommend a spray brush cleaning that is meant for daily cleaning like these below. When using a daily cleaning spray, your bristles are cleaned and conditioned at the same time. The brushes will also dry quickly without any remaining residue, making them ready for your next makeup application.
Jenny Patinkin Luxury Vegan Makeup Brush Soap$19.00Shop Now
Jenny Patinkin Luxury Vegan Makeup Brush Soap is handmade to her own specifications and really gets the job done. Whether your brushes are vegan or natural hair, this formula washes away oils and pigments without leaving a residue or drying out the bristles. Bonus: The tin may be repurposed or recycled when empty.
Makeup brushes deserve to be pampered, too! After all, they work hard for you, so why not give them a luxury bubble bath with Jenny Patinkin Luxury Vegan Makeup Brush Soap instead of using cleansers that contain harsh detergents or heavy oils.
e.l.f. Makeup Brush Shampoo$5.00Shop Now
The Brush Shampoo is your secret weapon to a flawless face. A clean brush is a happy brush. The build-up of dirt and oil in your brushes can leave your skin in distress. This formula leaves your brushes in like-new condition and helps to prolong their life.
Felix Professional Makeup Brush Cleaner$14.99Shop Now
- THE SOLUTION IS HERE : Are you looking for the quickest easiest And Best way For cleaning and sanitizing all of your makeup brushes and tools? Look no further than our amazing Felix Professional deep clean and quick dry makeup brush cleansing solution!
- ADVANCED FORMULA: Our makeup brushes cleaners formula is specifically designed to deep clean and sanitize your makeup tools while keeping them moisturised and is incredibly effective at removing pigments, oils, and dirt, leaving your brushes completely sanitized and ready for the next use.
How to Clean Your Brushes Daily
Daily brush cleaner
Clean paper towels
Dirty used brushes
Step 1: After you have applied your makeup for the day, take the makeup brushes that you have used and put them to the side so you know what brushes you need to clean.
Step 2: Grab one of your dirty brushes and spritz it with your daily brush cleaner. There is no need to over saturate the brush.
Step 3: Wipe clean the brush on the paper towel.
Step 4: Repeat steps 2 and 3 on each brush until it wipes clean on the paper towel.
Weekly Deep Cleaning
Giving your makeup brushes a weekly deep cleaning is necessary to remove not only stuck on makeup, but any oil, debris, bacteria, and other undesirable build-up that collects on your brushes throughout the week. You also want to condition your brushes weekly to keep them in tip-top shape, this will help them to last longer. When your brushes are cleaned properly, regularly, your makeup applies easier, blends better, and is dispensed evenly over your face. When cleaning your brushes weekly you can use one of the specialty shampoos listed below. Follow the directions recommended for washing to keep your brushes in their best shape.
EcoTools Professional Makeup Cleaner$6.99Shop Now
- The EcoTools Makeup Brush Shampoo is designed to wash away makeup, oil, and impurities from your brushes to improve their performance, and give you a smoother makeup application
- A non-toxic cleanser for makeup brushes, applicators, and makeup sponges without the oily residue
- Dermatologist tested, safe for sensitive skin
Real Techniques Makeup Cleaner Gel Brush$6.99Shop Now
- The Real Techniques Makeup Brush and Blending Sponge Cleansing Gel was made to help improve your brush performance
- Our makeup brush and makeup sponge cleaner is dermatologist tested for gentleness
- The formula is a quick, clean rinse and tested safe for all Real Techniques brushes
- The professional-grade liquid makeup brush cleanser contains no alcohol or phthalates
How to Deep Clean Your Brushes with Products Found in Your Home.
Yes we know this is the difficult way to clean your brushes. It is much more time consuming than purchasing one of the fantastic and mostly very affordable products listed above but we like to be thorough and give you the choice! So here goes:
Microwave safe plate
Step 1: Pure coconut oil comes solid and needs heat to become liquid. We recommend warming a teaspoon of oil on your microwave safe plate for 5-10 seconds in the microwave until it becomes a liquid.
Step 2: Once your coconut oil has melted, add a few squirts of dish soap and mix the two liquids together to create your own brush cleansing solution.
Step 3: Take your dirty makeup brush and run it under lukewarm water to loosen up any stuck-on makeup or debris. Avoid getting the base of the bristles wet, where the bristles and the brush handle meet. This may cause the glue to loosen over time and eventually your brush to come apart.
Step 4: Swirl the wet brush into your cleansing solution
Step 5: Swirl the brush into the palm of your hand or cleansing mat or egg (see below) while running it under lukewarm water.
Step 6: Repeat steps 4 and 5 until the water runs clear
Step 7: Reshape the bristles with your hands back to their original shape
Step 8: Either lay flat on a towel to dry or hang dry on a specialty drying rack (see below).
How to Make Cleaning Your Brushes Easier
Norate Makeup Brush Cleaning Mat
Brush Cleaning Mat, Silicone Makeup Cleaning Brush Scrubber Mat$6.99Shop Now
- Back Suction Cup design: The suction cup has strong absorption which can free your hands and fit perfectly on fingers, easy to hold and work with.
- This is the makeup brush cleaner, that will help thoroughly clean through all the bristles and make cleaning your brushes.
- Silicone Material: Made of environmentally friendly and healthy silicone material, with no damage to brushes.
Premium Makeup Brush Cleaner Dryer$19.99Shop Now
- HIGH-QUALITY MAKEUP BRUSH CLEANER & DRYER: Ricris makeup brush cleaner is made of premium materials for long-lasting service, precision, and safety. our electric makeup brush cleaner cleans your brushes to 99% for better performance applying makeup.
- CLEAN AND DRY 2 IN 1 MAKEUP BRUSH CLEANER: With the automatic makeup brush cleaner, you can perfectly clean and dry brushes in less than a minute. This will make makeup application much faster and more pleasing. Don’t be surprised if you have a little extra time for another cup of coffee before heading to work. great electric makeup brush cleaner.
So there you have it! Everything you need to know about caring for your makeup brushes. Lets face it ladies most of us spend a fortune on the right face creams and makeup and even buy expensive brushes but many us totally neglect to look after our brushes and that is such an important step to perfecting your overall look and keeping your skin flawless. Dirty brushes carry bacteria and can cause skin problems like acne.
So which of these products will you be adding to your routine to make cleaning your brushes more of a pleasure than a chore?